I’m a woman, a mom, a mother-in-law, a grandmother, wife of a former pastor… and, to be honest, I’m each of those things in no particular order. It’s all kind of a jumble, but I’ve learned to be at peace with that. If I could superimpose a sense of priority on my life, I’d do it with Paul’s words:
Simply love – love uncontaminated by self-interest and counterfeit faith, a life open to God. – I Timothy 1:5, MSG
As unhealthy as this may sound, much of “me” is defined by those I love: the grace-est man I know, my husband, Bill. Our original wild-at-heart sons, Matt, David, Stephen, and Andrew. Their oughta-be-royalty wives, Clarissa, Callie, and Brittany. Our lovable grandchildren whom I will not name here because we tend to add a new one every Christmas, and I have no idea when that trend will end. A family of origin that poured so much love into me I should be the most stable human being alive (but, somehow, I’m not). A married-into family that rocks. And friends who make me feel like a better person than I really am. So, I guess you could say, between all these influences and the mercy of God, I have plenty of material to write about. Material that I hope lifts you and pushes you deeper into that mercy.
Oh, I also love books, coffee, running, and conversation, especially conversation. Which means I’d love to hear from you. Really, I would.
Here are a few of the projects I’ve worked on:
* Ex-Muslim: How One Man’s Prayer to Jesus Changed His Life Forever, with Naeem Fazal, Thomas Nelson, 2014
* Insourcing: Bringing Discipleship Back to the Local Church with Randy Pope, Zondervan, 2012
* Church Behind the Wire with Barnabas Mam, Moody Press, June 2012
* Chick-Fil-A’s 2011 Leadercast Seminar Resource Guide.
* A New Kind of Big: How Churches of Any Size Can Partner to Transform Communities with Chip Sweney, Baker Books, 2010.
* Simple to Rise with Ken Olsen (Founder of Castlebrook Management), castlebrookonline.com, 2009.
* Family Money, for The National Christian Foundation, 2008. With Ben Ortlip (Kaleo Ranch).
* For North Point Community Church: iMarriage, Global X Field Guide for Short Term Missions, Model X, Making Change, NU ME, Sinai Code and others. Most of these were sermons parlayed into six to eight week Bible Studies and were published by Multnomah, 2005-2008. With Ben Ortlip (Kaleo Ranch).
* Operation Timothy, for CBMC (Connecting Business and the Marketplace to Christ, formerly Christian Business Men’s Committee), 2008. With Ben Ortlip (Kaleo Ranch).
* Charles Stanley’s Extraordinary Life Challenge, 2005, a conference devotional guide with Dr. Stanley, Dave Ramsey, and Jordan Rubin. With Ben Ortlip (Kaleo Ranch)
* A Long Way Off: Hope and Healing for Parents of Prodigals, Broadman and Holman (also printed as a Crossings Book Club edition), 2004.